HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A Hendersonville business owner is asking for help after a kitchen fire forced him to close his business for the foreseeable future. He says the damage will cost him tens of thousands of dollars.
Jamie Browning opened Carnival Food and More on Main Street about a year ago. He said it has been a dream of his for years to open this shop.
📧 Let fracture come to you: Subscribe to News 2 email alerts →
He moved to Nashville from West Virginia and spent his life savings to make it happen.
“I’ll be honest with everyone, you know, I’m hurt. I’m sad. Depressed,” Browning said. “You know that I hope and pray because I believe in God.”
He said he left work Monday night thinking he had turned off the deep fryer. He later came back to learn that he had accidentally forgotten it.
He’s spent the last few days getting this done and thinking about next steps, but it hasn’t been easy. “It’s too much. This is too much – plus I’ve been homeless for half a year. I slept in my car. They’re trying to keep the business going. So I’m busy with a lot of stuff right now.”
News 2 has contacted the Hendersonville Fire Department to learn more about the cause, but we have not yet received a response.
Browning tells News 2 it was a grease fire. He said he had no insurance at the time of the fire.
“I had local insurance, but when I became homeless I had to cut my bills,” he said. “I had to give that up to keep costs down and now I regret giving up insurance, which is why we set up the GoFundMe account. “I made a big mistake and I feel terrible about it all.
⏩ Find more top stories from wkrn.com
A GoFundMe account was created to help him. The goal is to raise around $40,000. He said it will cost between $25,000 and $40,000 to get the business back up and running.